Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The legal battle I've had so far

I tried, immediately, to hire a lawyer for Kiersten. May 19th, my van broke down halfway between North Carolina and my dad's house. We had to stay at my dad's house for a week while we waited for my husband to have a day off work to be able to pick us up.

My parents helped me pay a large portion of the 1200 dollars to hire a legal team to file papers requesting custody of my daughter. They turned out to be a scam. When I got the paperwork back from them, it was totally wrong. They stopped returning phone calls and emails and seemed to disappear off the face of the earth. They are still charging 50 dollars to my checking account every month, like clockwork, and I am fighting with my bank to try to get that to stop.

July 1st, the North Carolina courthouse cashed my check to send the original paperwork for custody of Kiersten, but I never recieved my papers. I called them in August, and they said to give them time. October, I called again, only to find out that they sent the papers to the wrong address.

The day I got the papers in the mail, I went to see a local lawyer, but she said there was nothing she could do for me - she couldn't even advise me how to begin, much less just draw up a set of papers for me to file myself.

So I made an appointment for the soonest available with a lawyer in North Carolina, four hours away from here. This lawyer is willing to help me, but he needs a 3,000 dollar retainer to start. He said that the lawyer the grandparents have hired is a high powered attorney that will do anything to win and has lots of connections. This isn't going to be an easy fight, and it will be quite costly, too.

No comments: